Twice Baked Sweet Potato Pudding

This Twice Baked Sweet Potato Pudding recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving or any fall special occasion.

Sweet Potato Pudding on marisamoore.com

If you know me at all, you know that I have a pretty serious love affair with sweet potatoes. When I saw this month’s recipe redux theme, a food memory for which you are thankful, I reminisced over one of my favorite treats from my grandma’s kitchen. I loved waking up to the thick cinnamon-sweet aroma of sweet potatoes baking into what grandma called “tater bread.”

Now before you start thinking about loaf pans and flour, there’s no actual bread involved. Grandma’s tater bread was more like a baked sweet potato pudding. It was a blend of pureed sweet potatoes, sugar, butter, eggs and milk baked until the edges turned golden brown. Simple and delicious.

Although my grandma is not able to walk me through how she made her original “tater bread” today, I am grateful to have spent time with her learning. If only I’d known how valuable that time was as a child – I would have taken notes.

The version of the recipe I’m sharing today is a little lighter. Instead of a stick of butter, three tablespoons does the trick. Roasting brings out the natural sugars in the sweet potatoes, so I cut the sugar in half.

NC Sweet Potatoes on marisamoore.com

As a Carolina girl, I’m partial to North Carolina sweet potatoes. The thin skin and sweet flesh make them perfect for roasting.

Roasted Sweet Potato on marisamoore.com

I make this dish every Thanksgiving and Christmas and anytime I have some extra mashed sweet potatoes hanging out in the fridge.

Serves ½ cup

Twice Baked Sweet Potato Pudding
Save Recipe

Ingredients

• 1-1½ lbs. sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ c milk
  • 3 T butter, softened
  • ½ c light brown sugar
  • 1 t pure vanilla extract
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 t ground nutmeg

Instructions

1. Prepare a small casserole dish with cooking spray, butter or oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
  2. Roast the potatoes at 400°F for an hour, or until fork tender. Remove the potatoes from the oven. Reset the oven to 350°F.
  3. Once cool enough to handle, peel and lightly mash the sweet potatoes in a medium mixing bowl.
  4. Using a hand mixer or heavy whisk, mix the softened butter into the mashed sweet potatoes until well blended.
  5. Add the remaining ingredients to the sweet potatoes. Mix until smooth.
  6. Pour the sweet potato pudding mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
  7. Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes or just until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean.
  8. Serve warm as is or with a drizzle of maple syrup and pecans.
6.8

Take a trip down memory lane with the rest of the Recipe Redux crew. But before you go, tell me… what food memory are you thankful for?

[inlinkz_linkup id=461510 mode=1]

25 Comments on Twice Baked Sweet Potato Pudding

1. Diane
    November 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM (2 years ago)

Great food memory, learning to cook with your Grandmother! I too am a sweet potato fan. I love this recipe, because it’s ideal for using leftover baked sweet potaotes. This will be served in my house very soon! Thanks Marisa and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

November 22, 2014 at 9:53 AM (2 years ago)

Yes. It’s perfect for using up leftover sweet potatoes! A very Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

2. Becca from ItsYummi.com
    November 22, 2014 at 9:20 AM (2 years ago)

This sweet potato pudding looks like a lightened up version of a fattening sweet potato casserole. LOVE this!

November 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Becca! You’re right. I just never think of it as casserole since we never did the marshmallow or streusel like toppings in my house. Grandma kept things simple!

November 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM (2 years ago)

Believe me. I know.

3. genevieve @ gratitude & greens
    November 22, 2014 at 10:56 AM (2 years ago)

I’ve never had sweet potato pudding, but would love to try it! I have a pretty serious love affair with sweet potatoes, too 😉

4. Alanna
    November 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM (2 years ago)

I think it’s safe to say that sweet potatoes may be my top 2 favorite foods. I could eat them every.single.day. I used to live in NC and that’s when it all started! This recipe looks delicious!!!

November 22, 2014 at 5:41 PM (2 years ago)

You are in good company here!

5. Rachael@AnAvocadoADay
    November 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM (2 years ago)

All I can say about this is YUM! And I am so with you about NC sweet potatoes (just don’t tell my SC neighbors!)

November 22, 2014 at 5:12 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks Rachael! And I love SC sweets too 🙂

6. gretchen | kumquat
    November 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM (2 years ago)

awww, i love sweet potatoes… and twice baked, YUM! these strange people i live with don’t like sweet potatoes, so that means they’d be ALL mine. 🙂

November 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM (2 years ago)

I like your thinking, Gretchen!

7. Regan @ The Healthy Aperture Blog
    November 22, 2014 at 6:10 PM (2 years ago)

Looks so good Marisa! The tater bread sounds so similar to spoonbread that I knew as a child. Glad you were able to recreate some of the spirit of your grandmother’s recipe 🙂

November 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Regan! And yes.. gotta love the south. Our spoonbread is corn based but uses the same technique and many of the same ingredients. Love that too!

8. Meal Makeover Mom Janice
    November 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM (2 years ago)

Marisa, we are both lucky to have food memories from our Grandmothers. I usually make a sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving and I have already bought 10 pounds of the potatoes. I may just have to shake things up this year and try your recipe!

9. EA-The Spicy RD
    November 23, 2014 at 11:57 AM (2 years ago)

Yum-love this recipe! Although my grandma was a very simple cook, I remember she always made the gravy and cranberry sauce every Thanksgiving. But the best memory I have of her was eating 1 full size piece of every single dessert served, with whipped cream of course! The fun thing about this memory, was that normally she was VERY careful about what she ate to keep her weight stable, but she would eat her desserts with abandon on Thanksgiving and all the other holidays we celebrated together 🙂

10. Anne|Craving Something Healthy
    November 23, 2014 at 12:06 PM (2 years ago)

Delicious recipe! I too wish I took notes on many of my grandma’s recipes 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

11. Francesca
    November 23, 2014 at 3:48 PM (2 years ago)

Looks absolutely delicious!!

12. Sarah
    November 23, 2014 at 5:17 PM (2 years ago)

Definitely craving some sweet potato now!

13. Katie Serbinski
    November 23, 2014 at 8:46 PM (2 years ago)

I’m the only one who eats sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving— so I think I’ll be using YOUR recipe!! Can’t wait to keep it to myself 😉