Black Bean Fried Quinoa

This month’s recipe redux challenge was to show how we cook once and remix the leftovers. In prepping for this month’s post, my overachieving tendencies kinda took over and I ended up with three recipes. Let me explain…

As much as I love black beans, I realized that I had not posted a black bean recipe here on the blog. I mean. I eat them at least once a week. So this post is me completely overdoing it on black bean recipes. The first up is my Black Bean Fried Quinoa.

Black Bean Fried Quinoa on marisamoore.com

It all started with my slow cooker black beans.The slow cooker beans are an excellent canvas to build flavorful meals throughout the week. I took that recipe and made two.

For the Black Bean Fried Quinoa, I wanted to build in layers of flavor to elevate the beans. I started by sauteeing onions with ancho chile powder.

Sauteed Onions in Ancho Chile MMN on marisamoore.com

I added in the cooked quinoa. Now, I could have easily stopped right here. The toasted quinoa mixed with the spicy onion mixture was tempting. But I added the rest of the ingredients to complete the meal. Scroll down to get the full recipe.

Ancho Chile Fried Quinoa on marisamoore.com

For TAKE TWO: I combined the leftover slow cooker beans with some of my favorite spices to make a Spicy Black Bean Soup with Ancho Chile Pepitas

Yields Makes 4 – 1 cup servings

Black Bean Fried Quinoa
Save Recipe

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon grapeseed or corn oil
  • ½ cup sweet onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ teaspoon ancho chile powder
  • ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
  • 2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1 cup cooked black beans, drained
  • ½ cup corn kernels
  • fresh limes and cilantro to garnish

Instructions

1. Heat the oil over medium high heat. Sauté the onion in the oil until translucent. Add the chile powder and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the quinoa. Fry it in the skillet until any lingering oil or moisture is absorbed. Add the bell pepper, black beans and corn. Heat through and serve.
  2. For extra flavor, add a squeeze of lime and chopped cilantro on top.

Notes

If using canned beans, add one can of rinsed and drained black beans.

Before you go, check out the many ways my Recipe Redux friends are serving up a two for one via the link below.

[inlinkz_linkup id=501540 mode=1]

14 Comments on Black Bean Fried Quinoa

1. Alanna
    March 22, 2015 at 4:38 PM (2 years ago)

That quinoa is calling my name! I adore black beans and am always looking for new ways to incorporate them into my meals. Can’t wait to try this!

March 23, 2015 at 6:41 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks Alanna! Black beans are already so flavorful that these recipes come together in a snap!

2. Min
    March 22, 2015 at 4:46 PM (2 years ago)

I cook a batch of dried beans about twice a month and freeze them. However, I’ve never made them in a slow cooker so I’m excited to try! Loving the addition of ancho chile powder! And I see two of our foods here (wink wink)

March 23, 2015 at 6:39 AM (2 years ago)

LOL! I didn’t even think of that Min! But yeah… beans in the slow cooker are the easiest thing!

3. Farrah
    March 22, 2015 at 9:06 PM (2 years ago)

This looks amazing! I have a bag of dried black beans that I’ve been meaning to use. Hooray for being able to make it in a slow cooker! 😀

March 23, 2015 at 6:40 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Farrah! I tend to only use my slow cooker in the winter. This year -even if only for beans- I think I’ll use it more often.

4. Jessica @ Nutritioulicious
    March 23, 2015 at 1:16 PM (2 years ago)

Yum! This looks so delish. I love black beans also. So many great flavors in this quinoa dish!

March 26, 2015 at 11:11 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Jessica! I love that it’s so flexible. I added different veggies to it throughout the week.

March 23, 2015 at 9:05 PM (2 years ago)

I actually like it so much better. Perfect canvas for many meals to come!

5. genevieve @ gratitude and greens
    March 27, 2015 at 9:45 PM (2 years ago)

You had me at ancho chile powder. This sounds so yummy and I can’t wait to try it! And I totally agree: black beans are awesome!

March 28, 2015 at 2:14 PM (2 years ago)

I know. Don’t you just love the sweet heat of ancho chiles?! Thanks for stopping by!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Black Bean Fried Quinoa