Maple Roasted Pecan Butter

Jump to Recipe

This easy homemade pecan butter sweetened with maple syrup and a sprinkle of kosher salt comes together in just a few minutes.

Maple Roasted Pecan Butter Recipe on marisamoore.com

This month’s recipe redux challenge encouraged us to go nuts on October 22 which happens to be National Nut Day. Deciding what to make this time was as easy as it was hard. On the one hand, I had lots of recipe ideas; on the other, I had to choose one. I have a hard time choosing favorites when it comes to nuts. I love almonds, cashews, pecans, peanuts and pistachios among others. But before I let the decision drive me nutty (ha), I went with what was right outside my door: pecans.

I live in Georgia. Pecan trees are everywhere – all over my neighborhood and even in my backyard. And at this time of year the nuts are falling like the leaves. (The following is not a pecan tree. Just a pretty one I saw on my walk this afternoon. I love how it’s starting to change color.)

Fall Leaves Falling

I was also inspired by a trend I’ve noticed lately. There are all sorts of nut butters being sold at gourmet stores and online with enticing names like bourbon peanut pecan butter and almond ginger butter. I wanted in on the fun but not at the $13 for a tiny jar price tag. I thought… why not make my own? I did.

And it was easy. The method I’m sharing took only about 15 minutes.

Pecans in the food processor on marisamoore.com

You will need a food processor or high-powered blender – whipping pecans into a creamy butter takes some power.

If you’re tempted to skip roasting, don’t. Roasting the pecans serves two purposes. It adds incredible depth and flavor. And importantly, processing warm pecans helped me get a smooth and creamy pecan butter without any additional oil. The longer you roast, the more intense color and flavor you’ll get. Just be careful not to burn the pecans or you’ll end up with bitter butter. Keep an eye on ’em.

Enjoy this homemade Maple Roasted Pecan Butter

• spread over warm whole grain bread,
  • on fresh apple slices,
  • dolloped onto a warm baked sweet potato (my fave!), or
  • swirled into a bowl of oatmeal.

You can store any leftover pecan butter refrigerated in an airtight jar for up to a month. If you notice any oil separation – it’s only natural. Just stir it back in and spread away.

Maple Roasted Pecan Butter

Ingredients
  • 2 cups raw pecan halves
  • 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Roast the pecans in a single layer on a sheet pan for 5 minutes. Stir and roast an additional 3-5 minutes until nutty and slightly browned. Don’t let the nuts burn.
  2. Add the warm pecans to the food processor bowl. Pulse until the pecans are coarsely ground. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  3. Process on high 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides.
  4. Process an additional 3-5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
  5. Add the maple syrup, salt and cinnamon. Process just until incorporated.
  6. Enjoy the pecan butter on apples, warm bread or muffins or atop a baked sweet potato.

Be sure to check out the other nutty recipe redux creations via the links below

32 Comments on Maple Roasted Pecan Butter

October 22, 2015 at 3:23 PM (2 years ago)

Yes. Pecan pie is definitely one of my favorites. This pecan butter is not nearly as sweet though. Hope you enjoy!

1. Alanna
    October 22, 2015 at 8:11 AM (2 years ago)

I am envious of your pecan trees! Something about the fall (maybe the pie?) reminds me of pecans and I just love them! I’ve never seen pecan butter before and am excited to try it out.

October 22, 2015 at 3:22 PM (2 years ago)

It’s so creamy and delicious. And it’s hard to ignore pecans here in Georgia.. but who would want to? 🙂

2. Shashi at RunninSrilankan
    October 22, 2015 at 8:23 AM (2 years ago)

Happy Nut Day! 🙂 Marisa – I live here in GA too!!! Where about are you?
    You sure are right – nutbutters are insanely overpriced- DIY ones are so much more economical and taste better too – just like this amazing maple roasted pecan butter!

October 22, 2015 at 3:05 PM (2 years ago)

Yes! So overpriced and unnecessarily so. Luckily they are so easy to make at home.

And yes, I’m in Atlanta -intown. Are you in the city too?

3. Karman Meyer
    October 22, 2015 at 8:29 AM (2 years ago)

I tried Pecan Butter a few years ago at Food Blog South and it is the most amazing nut butter EVER! I can’t wait to try this recipe

October 22, 2015 at 3:13 PM (2 years ago)

It really is quite delicious. I haven’t made it to FBS yet but it’s on my list. And speaking of the south… can’t believe I saw you for all of 5 minutes in Nashville. Thanks for being such a great resource for us all!

4. Diane
    October 22, 2015 at 8:47 AM (2 years ago)

What a wonderful recipe to share. Pinning! BTW, jealous of your pecan tree.

October 22, 2015 at 3:21 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Diane! I wish I could figure out how to harvest all the pecans!

October 22, 2015 at 3:20 PM (2 years ago)

Ha! Ha! Thanks, Rebecca!

5. Deanna Segrave-Daly
    October 22, 2015 at 2:17 PM (2 years ago)

Ahhh – another reason to move South – pecan trees!! I’ve loving this recipe and may have to make a few extra batches for holiday gifts 🙂

October 22, 2015 at 3:19 PM (2 years ago)

Yep! Come on down! I was thinking that these would be great holiday gifts too, Deanna! This and maybe one with cashew butter too.

6. Nancy Wilson
    October 22, 2015 at 2:48 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks for the recipe Marisa. We think it looks great!

October 22, 2015 at 3:19 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Nancy!

7. Aggie @ Aggie's Kitchen
    October 22, 2015 at 3:15 PM (2 years ago)

What a pretty tree! This sounds awesome – I’ve never tried pecan butter. I just had a handful of pecans in my yogurt, I love them!

October 22, 2015 at 4:02 PM (2 years ago)

Isn’t it gorgeous?! Yeah. I love the subtle sweetness pecans add to different dishes – especially savory ones.

8. EA Stewart
    October 22, 2015 at 6:44 PM (2 years ago)

Yum!! Pecan butter is one of my favorites, and so easy, and like you say, a lot less cheaper, to make at home. I’ll make a batch and keep it in my fridge, then when I want a little something sweet, but healthy, I’ll dip my spoon right in and enjoy 🙂

October 22, 2015 at 9:31 PM (2 years ago)

Pretty much what I’m doing these days! It didn’t hurt that I had to test this recipe a few times last week 🙂 So perfect with apples these days.

9. Rachel @ Delicious Balance
    October 22, 2015 at 7:14 PM (2 years ago)

I love making nut butters! Once I figured out how easy it is to make, I’ve never been able to splurge on the gourmet flavors at the store! This combo sounds delicious!

October 22, 2015 at 9:33 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Rachel! I’m a little addicted to making them at home now. This post might be a spoiler but some people may be getting little nut butter stocking stuffers this Christmas 🙂

10. Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen
    October 22, 2015 at 10:48 PM (2 years ago)

Love how simple this is! I’ve been thinking of making a bunch of nut butters as holiday gifts this year. This would be perfect!

October 25, 2015 at 9:03 PM (2 years ago)

Yes. This would be perfect as gifts. So many different options! I’m loving this one right now though.

11. Anne|Craving Something Healthy
    October 23, 2015 at 1:16 AM (2 years ago)

Oh how I wish I had pecans falling out of the sky! Love how easy this recipe is – such a great idea 🙂

October 25, 2015 at 9:02 PM (2 years ago)

Ha! Ha! The challenge is to get outside daily to pick them up. And yeah… when it comes to recipes, I don’t do complicated but this one is beyond easy!

12. Jessica @ Nutritioulicious
    October 23, 2015 at 11:18 AM (2 years ago)

Yum! love the addition of maple syrup and cinnamon. Sounds – and looks – so delish!

October 25, 2015 at 9:01 PM (2 years ago)

It’s quite tasty, Jessica. I will say that a little goes a long way. The pecan flavor is amplified when blended into a butter.

13. Caroline Kaufman
    October 26, 2015 at 2:20 PM (2 years ago)

OMG I am OBSESSED with this simple recipe!! Toasted pecans plus maple syrup?! I cannot wait to make this. I’m going to put this on toasted whole grain waffles…apples…maybe I’ll make no-bake protein bites from it. My mind is racing with maple roasted pecan butter opportunities 🙂

October 26, 2015 at 3:22 PM (2 years ago)

Oh yeah! The options are endless. And a little goes a long way – the flavor is intense in a good way!

14. Lauren Grant | Zestful Kitchen
    November 29, 2016 at 5:01 PM (6 months ago)

Wow! This pecan butter looks like heaven. I am going to have to give this a try. I even have a bag of raw pecans in my pantry right now!

November 30, 2016 at 7:33 AM (6 months ago)

Do it. So worth it!