Creamy Coconut Cherry Millet Porridge

This Creamy Coconut Cherry Millet Porridge is a satisfying breakfast that’s delicious and nutritious.

Creamy Coconut Cherry Millet Porridge

How is it January 22 already?! I took a little time off for the holidays and I’ve been slow to get back to the blogging. I’m grateful to have just returned from an amazing conference in London that I can’t wait to share what I learned. Lots of juicy bits to share. And this porridge recipe of course is inspired by my time across the pond.

So, this month’s recipe redux celebrates the new year by challenging us to use a new ingredient. Don’t you just love to try new foods? For as long as I can remember, I’ve enjoyed trying new foods. For a minute, I even had a series on this blog called Try it Tuesday. It will be back one day but for now… Let’s talk about millet.

Plain Millet

I had this millet hanging out in my pantry and in my quest to clear the clutter this year, I’ve been anxious to use it. Though I’ve eaten it, I had never cooked with millet. I was excited to see how it behaves in the kitchen.

Millet is one of those ancient grains popping up on every food trend list over the past couple years. Though it may be new to many, millet has been around for years. Chances are you’ve passed it by in the bird food aisle.

[Tweet “Mix it up at #breakfast with this Creamy Coconut Cherry Millet Porridge recipe from @marisamoore!”]

Millet is a gluten-free whole grain that provides protein and magnesium. You can use it just like rice or add it to salads, stews or bowls. Because it’s a quick cooking whole grain, it’s perfect as a breakfast dish. I’m an oats every morning kinda girl but sometimes I want something a little different. Millet fits the bill. It also works for those who don’t like the texture of oatmeal.

Because this month has flown by, I needed to come up with a fast recipe. I pulled this one off in just a couple days with what I already had in the kitchen. Lucky me it worked.

Have you cooked with millet? I still have a bunch left so please share your favorite way to use it in the comments.

Yields 4

Creamy Coconut Cherry Millet Porridge

30 minCook Time

30 minTotal Time

Save RecipeSave Recipe
Recipe Image

Ingredients

• 1 cup millet
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • pinch of salt
  • 1-2 tablespoons coconut sugar
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen cherries

Instructions

1. Toast the millet in a medium pot over medium high heat until the millet emits a cravable, nutty aroma (about 5 minutes). Shake the pan a few times to ensure even toasting. Don't skip the toasting. It imparts incredible flavor.
  2. Add water, coconut milk and salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 25-30 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and the millet is soft and creamy.
  3. In a small saucepan, combine the cherries with the coconut sugar. Adjust the sugar amount to suit your taste and sweetness of the cherries. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently. Mash a few of the cherries to help release the juice. Puree if desired or serve chunky style as I did here.
  4. Serve the millet porridge topped with the cooked cherries and optional nuts and coconut flakes.
Recipe Type: Breakfast
7.6.4

Before you head out, check out the other recipes in this month’s Recipe Redux:

14 Comments on Creamy Coconut Cherry Millet Porridge

January 22, 2016 at 10:04 AM (2 years ago)
      So loverly! Reply
  1. Jessica @ Nutritioulicious
    January 22, 2016 at 10:51 AM (2 years ago)
    I can't wait to hear what you learned in London! I'm curious: what about your trip inspired this recipe? Millet's on my list of grains to try. I've had it before, but never cooked it myself. I love oatmeal so if another oatmeal lover says this is a good change of pace, I'm in! Reply
      January 22, 2016 at 1:42 PM (2 years ago)
      London was lovely! Each day we had a porridge option at breakfast - usually made of oats but one morning I had one that was a blend of other grains. But yes.. this is a good substitute for those who don't like oats because of the texture. I will probably use it for lunch and dinner more often and add some milk and fruit to enjoy the leftovers as breakfast on occasion. Reply
      January 25, 2016 at 1:43 PM (2 years ago)
      I used the same base but swapped the cooked cherries with a spinach and chickpea saute. I have to agree, Rebecca. It was good at breakfast but it's perfect in savory dishes! Reply
  2. Min
    January 22, 2016 at 5:29 PM (2 years ago)
    Yay!! I'm glad you had a wonderful trip, and I can't wait to hear all about it next week!!!! Welcome back ;). I've been incorporating diff grains to my breakfast bowls so this one is right up my alley! Can't wait to try!! XOXO Reply
      January 25, 2016 at 1:40 PM (2 years ago)
      Thanks, Min! And yes. It's nice to switch it up every now and then. Variety is the spice of life - so they say :) Reply
  3. Rachael@AvocadoADayNutrition
    January 23, 2016 at 10:51 AM (2 years ago)
    Welcome back!! Very jealous of your London trip :) One of my favorite cities, mainly because of the food! This looks awesome! Reply
      January 25, 2016 at 1:40 PM (2 years ago)
      This was my second trip and I have to say, I'm now convinced that the city has great food. It was not so great the first time I visited. :) Reply
  4. Alanna
    January 23, 2016 at 2:22 PM (2 years ago)
    This is speaking my language! I love oats more than anything, but millet is the perfect substitute. Can't wait to make this :) Reply
      January 25, 2016 at 1:38 PM (2 years ago)
      I'm still an oats kinda girl but it's nice to know we have options :) Reply
  5. Caroline Kaufman
    January 25, 2016 at 12:01 PM (2 years ago)
    I LOVE frozen cherries in my hot oatmeal, but like you were saying, it's so good to switch up your grain game every now and then. I'm ready for a new grain, and I think it might just have to be millet :) Thanks for the recipe! Reply
      January 25, 2016 at 1:38 PM (2 years ago)
      Yes. I had almost forgotten about the bag that I had left from the summer. Will be adding them to oats (or millet) for the rest of the month! Can't wait to see YOU in a few weeks! Reply