Jump to Recipe
Apple Sweet Potato Toast is the perfect crunchy and sweet snack. Enjoy it any time of day or serve it as an appetizer at your next party.
The sweet potato toast trend has taken root, and now I understand why.
If you haven’t heard, sweet potato toast is a toasted (or baked) sweet potato slice with toppings. I’ll admit. Being a bit of a purist, I resisted this trend. I mean. It’s not really toast. But a chef friend made a good point. Sometimes you have to use a title that people can easily relate to. This makes sense. Call it what you want, I call it tasty, and I’m totally on board.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by my friends at Autumn Glory® apples. As always, all opinions are my own.
[Tweet “ad: Snack on this Apple Sweet Potato Toast with Maple Tahini Drizzle”]
If you know me, you know I love sweet potatoes. When I was a child, my grandfather would make fried sweet potatoes for us to munch on after school. He’d slice sweet potatoes and fry them in a cast iron skillet. They were thick-cut, like waffle fries (without the waffling), and perfectly snackable. Thinking back, I love how the soft, creamy center contrasted almost crispy (sometimes burnt) edges.
Now, it turns out a warm slice of sweet potato can be even better. With toppings!
Did you know there are over 2,500 apple varieties grown in the United States alone? How many have you tried? My number is low. I’ve probably tasted 20 at most. So, I was excited to try Autumn Glory® apples last fall. With hints of cinnamon and caramel flavor, Autumn Glory® apples deliver a unique taste of fall any time of the year. Perfect as a sweet and crunchy snack straight from the fridge, I decided to put them to work on sweet potato toast!
To make the toast: Scrub the potatoes but leave the skin. Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, with care, slice the sweet potatoes about ¼ inch thick. Add them to a prepared pan and bake.
For the sauce: The deep nutty flavor of tahini complements the flavors in this sweet potato toast perfectly. I added a little cinnamon and ginger to play up the warm spice notes in the apples further.
It’s important to note; the “toast” will not be crunchy. That’s where the apples save the day. They are the fresh, crisp topping that makes this sweet potato toast so snackable!
Try it and let me know what you think!
Apple Sweet Potato Toast with Maple Tahini Drizzle
- 1 medium Autumn Glory® apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato
- cooking spray (I used coconut oil spray)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
Maple Tahini Sauce
- 1 tbsp tahini, unsalted
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- pinch ground ginger and cinnamon
- 1 tbsp hot water or apple juice
- pinch coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with oil. I used a coconut oil spray but any neutral tasting oil spray works.
- Scrub then slice the sweet potato into ¼-inch slices. You'll get 4-6 slices per potato. Place the slices on the baking sheet in a single layer at least 1 inch apart.
- Roast about 20 minutes, flipping once. The potatoes are done when easily pierced with a fork but not too soft.
- Stack each piece of sweet potato with a smear of maple tahini sauce then 4 or 5 apple slices. Top with a drizzle of maple tahini sauce and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Enjoy!
PIN the recipe for later!