Try these whipped sweet potatoes with brown butter for a healthier take on sweet potato casserole! Packed with mostly healthy ingredients and topped with decadently, nutty and flavorful brown butter, this dish is sure to please!
I’m serving up just a little decadence with this recipe. It’s a long way from the marshmallow, whole stick of butter, several cups of sugar sweet potato casserole standard that often appears on the table this time of year.
However, I amped up basic roasted sweet potatoes with some spices and brown butter which adds an unbelievable toasted, nutty flavor. Seriously. If you haven’t browned butter and added it to all the things… you’re missing out.Brown Butter Whipped Sweet Potatoes - a healthier take on sweet potato souffle! #easyrecipes
What is brown butter?
To make brown butter, heat your favorite butter in a skillet over medium heat until it’s golden brown and has a nutty aroma. You have to watch it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
When it’s done, you can use brown butter in a variety of ways. Use it to top sweet potatoes, drizzle over green beans, or add it to desserts for a unique depth of flavor!
Is it better to roast or boil sweet potatoes?
Whether I’m making sweet potatoes to eat for breakfast or making a pie, I like to roast my potatoes with the skins on. This helps the sugars caramelize to create a rich, sweet flavor and allows me to add little to no added sugar.
I whip the sweet potatoes while still warm and add in a little milk, cinnamon, maple syrup and a pinch of salt.
Once the potatoes are baked, the recipe comes together in no time flat. And Oh My Goodness is it a dreamy finish…
Now. You know your family. If they like things sweeter… add more maple syrup. If they like extra cinnamon, sprinkle on a little more!
Can I make this recipe vegan?
If you’re vegan. You can skip the brown butter and still love this recipe.
Use a plant-based milk and maybe add some toasted pecans or a drizzle of maple syrup to the top of the whipped sweet potatoes.
If you want more sweet potato recipes, be sure to check out these other ways to cook sweet potatoes.
Brown Butter Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp high quality butter
- ½ cup plant, nut or regular milk
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Scrub the sweet potatoes, poke a few times with a fork and roast on a foil lined baking sheet for 40 minutes or until soft and the sugars start to caramelize.
- Once the potatoes are almost done, melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat, swirling occasionally until it turns brown and smells nutty. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn. Keep warm.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked and cool enough to handle, remove the skins and add to a large mixing bowl. Add the milk, spices and salt.
- Using an electric or handheld whisk, whip the sweet potatoes until light and fluffy. Place the warm sweet potatoes in a serving bowl and top with the brown butter just before serving. Serve warm.