In this Monday Morsel, I’m sharing some easy ways to eat more greens – that don’t involve salads.
Happy March! As everything starts to turn green, now is a good time to think about your greens. Are you one of the 3 in 4 adults that misses the daily vegetable mark? The goal is just 2½ cups per day, but it can be hard without a little planning. I find that greens can be especially challenging. Here are some easy ways to fit them in:
- Go green first thing in the morning. Add chopped fresh or frozen spinach to scrambled eggs or omelets.
- Blend greens into a smoothie. Add spinach or kale to your smoothie – every time. Whether you’re doing a green smoothie or beet red one, greens are ready to go and don’t change the flavor much. I promise.
- Put greens on a pizza. My Kale Pesto Naan Pizza can be ready in just 10 minutes. If you already have a frozen pizza on hand, add fresh or frozen spinach or kale for a nutrition boost.
- Make a wrap. Try a chard or collard green wrap instead of a flour tortilla.
- Top things off. Add shredded cabbage or collard greens to tacos and burgers for extra color, flavor, and fiber.
- Sneak greens into sauces and soups. Add chopped kale to a soup or stew or a big handful of spinach to a marinara sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Try new options. Try chard, beet greens, and turnip greens or go bold with arugula, watercress, parsley, and mustard greens which are spicy and full of flavor. Add them to other greens for extra flavor or mix them into bean dishes.
- Buy them already prepped. Cleaning greens can be the biggest barrier. Go for the pre-washed, pre-cut baby spinach, baby kale, and other mixes. Baby greens are more tender and tend to be less bitter.
- Make chips. These easy Cheezy Kale Chips from Sally at Real Mom Nutrition are a fun and healthy snack. If you haven’t tried making kale chips at home, this is a good place to start!
Speaking of green, I’ve partnered with several awesome bloggers to offer an insane Amazon gift card giveaway opportunity. Be sure to check it out!
Not on the Monday Morsel list yet? Get the Monday Morsel delivered to your inbox every Monday.