Ahh, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, warm maple syrup… who doesn’t love the warm aromas of fall? I sure do.
Fall is one of my favorite seasons. It means perfect Georgia weather for outdoor fun, beautiful colors and yes my favorite fall flavors. I remember picking sweet potatoes fresh from the field as a child in the south with my grandparents.
And today, I am a sucker for sweet potato pie, sweet potato souffle and honestly any way you mash, whip, bake or puree a sweet potato (well except for cheesecake).
As you ponder your favorite fall flavors and memories, consider these easy and healthy dessert options to enjoy the many flavors of fall:
- Bake or broil apples and pears with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Make a fall fruit crisp using fresh apples or pears. Instead of the usual high fat crust or streusel, use an oat and almond or walnut topping for added fiber and heart-healthy fats.
- Roast sweet potatoes (skin on) to bring out the natural sugars. Dust the cooked potato with plenty of cinnamon and nutmeg and a sprinkle of brown sugar.
- Add more spice and less sugar to your pumpkin pie recipe.
- Warm up with sweet chai tea, hot apple cider or a mug of hot cocoa with cinnamon.
What are some of your favorite fall desserts?