Fresh squeezed red grapefruit juice, gin and muddled basil combine in this healthy cocktail that will brighten any winter happy hour.
Today, I’m participating in my first ever virtual surprise birthday party for one of the hardest working and most influential dietitians I know. Regan Jones is the founder of Healthy Aperture, Recipe Redux and one of the masterminds behind Blog Brûlée. And that’s only the tip of the iceberg. This woman never ceases to amaze me. Through her hard work, Regan is a lot of fun and she’s turning 40 today! So we are celebrating.
What better way to celebrate the beginning of a new decade and a new year than with a healthy cocktail?
Using the most flavorful ingredients is the key to creating a healthy cocktail you’ll enjoy. This recipe takes advantage of red grapefruit that’s especially flavorful in winter. The uniquely sweet and tart flavor of freshly squeezed red grapefruit juice creates a drink that’s as beautiful as it is delicious.
For an additional layer of flavor, I muddled fresh basil with the Blake Hill Grapefruit Lemon Marmalade I got as a gift at Blog Brulee. Muddling marmalade with herbs is a quick way to infuse fruit or herbal flavor into a cocktail or mocktail. Muddling naturally extracts the essential oils from herbs to add depth, body and flavor to the drink. The fragrant basil plays on the slightly herbal flavor of the gin (I used Hendrick’s).
This was my first time developing a cocktail recipe for the blog. I’m a light weight when it comes to drinking, so needless to say it was a fun weekend assignment. I mean… to find the best combination, we had to test it out with gin versus rum. But hey alcohol has health benefits too right?
Now on to the recipe. If you haven’t noticed, I’m on a grapefruit kick right now. This grapefruit cocktail recipe gave me a good reason to keep it going. Cheers!
Grapefruit Gin Basil Cocktail
- 1 T grapefruit marmalade
- 2 large fresh basil leaves torn (plus more for garnish)
- ¾ c fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1½ oz. gin
- 2 T grapefruit simple syrup recipe below
- ice cubes
- For the Grapefruit Simple Syrup:
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- Make the grapefruit simple syrup: Combine ¼ cup sugar with ¼ cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice in a small pot. Bring to a boil then lower to simmer until the sugar dissolves. Let cool.
- Make the cocktail:
- Muddle the marmalade and basil in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice cubes, gin, grapefruit simple syrup and fresh grapefruit juice to a shaker. Shake well.
- Pour into your favorite glass and enjoy.
Say happy birthday and check out how my blogging buddies are helping Regan celebrate with these healthy cocktail and appetizer recipes! #RMJis40
[inlinkz_linkup id=476752 mode=1]