Fresh squeezed red grapefruit juice, gin and muddled basil combine in this healthy-ish cocktail that will brighten any winter happy hour. And since it’s citrus season, this cocktail is perfect right now.
What better way to celebrate the beginning of a new decade and a new year than with a healthy-ish cocktail?
Grapefruit is in season along with all citrus. So that means it tastes better this time of year. It’s sweeter, easy to find and usually cheaper too!
Make a healthier cocktail
Using the most flavorful ingredients is the key to creating a healthy cocktail you’ll enjoy.
This recipe takes advantage of red grapefruit that’s especially flavorful in winter. The uniquely sweet and tart flavor of freshly squeezed red grapefruit juice creates a drink that’s as beautiful as it is delicious.
Muddle for flavor
For an additional layer of flavor, I muddled fresh basil with grapefruit marmalade.
Muddling marmalade with herbs is a quick way to infuse fruit or herbal flavor into a cocktail or mocktail.
Muddling naturally extracts the essential oils from herbs to add depth, body and flavor to the drink. The fragrant basil plays on the slightly herbal flavor of the gin (I used Hendrick’s).
This was my first time developing a cocktail recipe for the blog. I’m a lightweight when it comes to drinking, so needless to say it was a fun weekend assignment.
I mean… to find the best combination, we had to test it out with gin versus rum. But hey alcohol has health benefits too right?
Now on to the recipe. If you haven’t noticed, I’m on a grapefruit kick right now. This grapefruit cocktail recipe gave me a good reason to keep it going. Cheers!
Grapefruit Gin Basil Cocktail
- 1 T grapefruit marmalade
- 2 large fresh basil leaves torn (plus more for garnish)
- ¾ c freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1½ oz. gin
- 1-2 T grapefruit simple syrup (recipe below)
- ice cubes
Grapefruit Simple Syrup
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- Make the grapefruit simple syrup: Combine ¼ cup sugar with ¼ cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice in a small pot. Bring to a boil then lower to simmer until the sugar dissolves. Let cool.
Make the cocktail
- Muddle the marmalade and basil in a cocktail shaker. To this, press the leaves and marmalade together until you can smell the basil. The goal is to pull out the natural, flavorful oils.
- Add ice cubes, gin, grapefruit simple syrup and fresh grapefruit juice to a shaker. Shake well.
- Pour into your favorite glass and enjoy it with or without ice.