Add this healthy spinach dip to your game day spread. With whipped cottage cheese and plenty of garlic for flavor and spice, this lightened up spinach dip makes a satisfying game day snack!
Jump to Recipe
The Falcons are in the Super Bowl! Since I live in Atlanta, you might expect me to be excited. Though I’m a Carolina Panthers fan at heart, I’m happy for the Falcons and want them to win. I love watching football but no matter who’s playing, I’m always more interested in what’s going to be on the table. (It always comes back to food…)
No spread is complete without spinach dip. Most of the time, spinach dip is made with lots of cheese, mayo, sour cream, and just a little bit of spinach. That’s cool at times. (You know I love a good indulgence.) But sometimes you want something a little healthier.Try this lightened up Spinach Dip - 2 Ways! #gameday
This healthy spinach dip recipe balances that cream to spinach ratio a bit and boosts the protein with whipped full fat cottage cheese. It requires just a few ingredients – most of which you might already have on hand. I used frozen spinach, extra virgin olive oil, and spices I already had in the pantry. I opted for full fat cottage cheese versus low fat, to keep the dip nice and creamy.
I tried the dip two different ways so only thought it fitting to share both with you!
#1: You’ll simply blend the cottage cheese, olive oil, and spices for a creamy base. Stir in the thawed and drained spinach for a cool and creamy dip. You can stop here and enjoy the dip with all of its fresh-from-the-bowl glory.
#2: Heat it up! You can take the dip one step further with a sprinkle of parmesan and a trip to the broiler for a warm and bubbly treat.
As the big game is just a few days away, you’ll be happy to know that this recipe comes together in just five minutes – fifteen max if you decide to heat it up. You can also mix the recipe ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until it’s game time!
And for a closer look…
Here’s the easy recipe!
Healthier Spinach Dip - Two Ways
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen cut leaf spinach thawed and squeezed of excess liquid
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 3 cloves fresh garlic)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- coarse salt to taste
- tortillas chips, fresh red pepper sticks for serving
- 2 tablespoons diced red bell pepper (garnish)
Warm Spinach Dip
- all ingredients above
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Blend cottage cheese with the onion, garlic, pepper and olive oil in a blender until smooth.
- Pour cheese mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Add the spinach. Stir in the spinach until well combine. Add to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped red bell peppers if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips or fresh red bell pepper strips for scooping.
If you missed my 4 tips for healthier game day recipes yesterday, be sure to check it out for more tips and ideas to lighten up your party table.
Now, gather the ingredients for this simple recipe and PIN it for later.