This month’s Recipe Redux challenge is all about pizza. I was excited to come up with a healthy twist on one of my favorite foods. My first thought was to create mini-pizzas using the pre-made polenta tube. And while this would work fine in a pinch, I decided to make the polenta crust from scratch. That way I was able to control the salt in the final recipe but also I got to add herbs to the crust. Making polenta is as easy as making grits. Being the southern girl I am… I’ve got years of training on this one. Making a polenta crust just requires a few additional steps.
Mushroom & Gruyere Polenta Pizza
- 1 recipe for Basil Polenta Pizza Crust shown below
- 1 t olive oil
- 8 oz Cremini Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic minced (or 1 t garlic powder)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ oz shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic and salt and pepper. Saute until fragrant and the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add the Gruyere to the polenta pizza crust and top with the cooked mushrooms.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Sprinkle fresh thyme leaves over the pizza.
- Slice and serve immediately or enjoy at room temperature.
I was so excited about the final recipe that I started snapping photos right away and forgot all about the thyme. So, here’s a shot featuring a little sprinkle of thyme. Make this. If you’re a mushroom lover like me, you’ll love it!