This easy, vegetarian kale and walnut dish will nourish your heart and satisfy your belly.
I’m switching it up and sharing a video today for my Kale with Toasted Walnuts and Parmesan recipe. It’s a throwback from the time I was followed around in a stranger’s kitchen while I made this recipe highlighting important steps in home food safety.
From kale chips to kale smoothies and everything in between, kale has become a victim of overexposure. Be that as it may, kale is still one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet. And now is the best time to grab a bunch. Kale tastes best during the cooler months – the leaves are just a little sweeter than any other time of year. Brain-boosting walnuts add a little protein, heart healthy fats and crunch.
This is a nutritious and hearty side dish. Skip the parmesan to make it vegan. Serve up a complete meal by adding whole grain pasta and beans or salmon.
Braised Kale with Walnuts and Parmesan
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ c vegetable broth
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- ½ c walnuts chopped and toasted
- ½ c parmesan cheese shredded
- Wash the kale and remove from the stem. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan (that has a lid). Sauté garlic until fragrant but not brown.
- Add the kale and broth to the pan. Cover. Braise for 10-15 minutes or to desired tenderness.
- Remove from heat. Add the walnuts and parmesan cheese and serve.