I did a healthy holidays talk and demo for a client yesterday. I shared this easy holiday appetizer with the group and now I want to share it with you. Who doesn’t love a tomato, basil, mozzarella salad (AKA Caprese salad). It’s quite refreshing and delicious. Now, these mini caprese bites are not new to the world but they are so much fun to make and eat. Plus the red, white and green is bound to put you in a merry mood.
Check out the easy recipe below. And think about other foods you can thread on a stick and enjoy!
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2-3 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese cut in into small chunks
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves sliced thinly
- 30 small skewers or toothpicks
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- ½ t Kosher salt
- ½ t coarse black pepper
- Cut the grape tomatoes in half (see the picture).
- Thread the tomato, mozzarella pieces and basil onto the toothpicks.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar and shake it up.
- Make it cute(r). Serve the bites in a wine or shot glass with the dressing in the bottom or you can drizzle it over the top. Toss in a couple leftover basil leaves as a flavorful and fragrant garnish.