This roasted cabbage with honey and crushed red pepper flakes is an easy side dish that’s perfect for a weeknight or Sunday dinner.
These easy roasted cabbage wedges are a delicious side dish! You can also cut them into discs to make cabbage steaks and follow the same recipe.
This Sweet & Spicy Roasted Cabbage is made with fragrant and toasted sesame oil, crushed red pepper flakes, and a drizzle of warm honey for a slightly sweet finish.
Cabbage in my house is often prepared in the usual southern way – cooked down in a pot with or without meat until tender. And I still eat it that way with cornbread.
But roasted cabbage is so easy and delicious, that it’s been my go-to method for a few years now. Simply slice, dress, add to a pan and bake in a hot oven.
How to roast cabbage
This simple recipe needs only a few ingredients. The key to getting that gorgeous color is space. And a generous dose of oil.
The toasted sesame oil adds an irresistible nutty flavor. I don’t recommend skipping it but if you don’t have any on hand, try olive or avocado oil.
The hot oven helps create that beautiful golden color. To make sure you get a good char, make sure the cabbage wedges are dry when you place them on the pan.
Important: Take care not to crowd the pan so that the cabbage has room to caramelize not steam.
Truth be told, the cabbage develops a lovely sweetness from roasting alone. But that generous honey drizzle sets it off.
What to serve with roasted cabbage
Serve this cabbage along with roasted okra, curry chicken or these recipes from the Black History Month Potluck such as Red Beans and Rice, Smothered Okra with Chicken and Smoked Sausage or Chicken & Sausage Gumbo.
PIN this recipe for later!
Easy Roasted Cabbage Wedges
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- coarse salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Brush a large sheet pan with the avocado oil.
- Cut the head of cabbage in half and remove the core. Slice into about 8 – 1 inch wedges. Place wedges on the pan in a single layer. Brush evenly with the toasted sesame oil, sprinkle with red pepper flakes, and salt to taste.
- Roast cabbage about 15 minutes or until the underside is browned. Turn each wedge (carefully). Roast an additional 10 minutes, until the cabbage is tender but not softened. When done, drizzle with warm honey. Serve warm or at room temperature.