This easy delicata squash recipe requires just a handful of ingredients and a hot oven. With all of the flavors and colors of fall, this Rosemary Roasted Delicata Squash recipe will be ready in no time!
Last fall, I cooked with delicata squash for the first time and fell in love. I adore the color, the sweet flavor, and smooth texture. I especially like that it’s one of the easiest winter squashes to prepare. It’s easy-ish to cut into and you can actually eat the skin.
How to slice delicata squash
Watch the video below to see how I cut delicata squash with ease.
Start by selecting a firm, stable cutting board. Slicing off the root and tip ends. Slice lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. And slice the squash in even pieces for the lovely half moon shapes.
Best way to cook delicata squash
Roasting brings out the sweet flavor and frees up the squash to be served as “fries” or sliced to enjoy over a salad or as a quick side dish.
You can also puree the delicata squash into for a silky smooth, slightly sweet soup.
Roasting is a solid way to cook it, but this air fryer delicata squash is another quick and easy way to cook winter squash. They cook up a little like fries and can be seasoned in many different ways – like the garlic and parmesan flavor in the recipe above.
Rosemary Roasted Delicata Squash
- 2 medium delicata squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Coarse salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Wash, slice and scoop the seeds from the delicata squash.
- Cut the halves into 1-inch strips. Add the cut squash to a sheet pan leaving plenty of space between the pieces. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the shallots, rosemary, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast about 20 minutes, turning once.
- Enjoy warm as a side dish or chop into bite size pieces to enjoy over kale or other greens with your favorite vinaigrette for a sweet and savory fall salad.