These savory oats are made with spinach, sauteed tomatoes, and a little feta for a warm and hearty breakfast, lunch, or dinnertime option! This recipe comes with a vegan option and it’s incredibly easy to make.
Have you tried savory oatmeal yet? If the idea sounds unfamiliar, you’re not alone. It seems that oats are often paired with sweet flavors and ingredients. But oats are versatile and a great option for savory recipes, too!
Gather these ingredients
Old Fashioned Oats
Low sodium vegetable broth
Extra virgin olive oil
Feta or vegan feta crumbles
Fresh cracked black pepper
Which oats work best?
I’m using old fashioned oats for this recipe. But honestly, by adjusting the cooking time, you can use instant, traditional, or steel-cut oats for this recipe (be sure to follow the package directions).
And I’m often asked… Is one type of oats better than another?
I think they are all good options. Instant, quick, old fashioned, steel cut – are 100% whole grain, and ounce per ounce, they provide similar amounts of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Where they differ is shape, texture, and cook time. So go with the ones that work best for your recipe, taste preference, and how much time you have to cook.
Oats are a whole grain and source of complex carbohydrates. And this recipe, with ½ cup of oats per serving, is a good source of fiber.
Tips for success
- Use a high-quality, flavorful broth. Since the flavor will impact the entire dish, be sure to choose a broth you love. You can make your own or buy your favorite from the store.
- Get some color on the tomatoes. Sautéing the tomatoes will bring out the natural sweetness as the skins start to caramelize in the pan. This adds lots of flavor to these savory oats. So, don’t skip that step.
- Don’t have spinach on hand? Feel free to use frozen – simply thaw and drain it first. You can also use baby kale or another green. Just keep in mind that hardier greens will not easily wilt into the oats. If you add other greens, you might need to steam or sauté them before adding to the oats.
This recipe is easily doubled or quadrupled to feed a family. If you want to make extra to enjoy as leftovers, that also works.
Simply reheat the mixed oats and save the feta to sprinkle on top.
Whether you are ready for this savory idea or you want to stick to sweet, or opt for a hot or cold dish option, oats are a blank canvas that I’m excited to help inspire you to create your own bowl of oats.
Ready to try savory oats? Here’s the recipe!
Spinach Tomato Feta Savory Oats
- ½ cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon feta or vegan feta crumbles
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Bring the stock to a boil. Stir in the oats. Cook about 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a small skillet. Add the tomatoes and garlic. Sauté 4-5 minutes, just until the tomatoes are heated through and start to blister.
- Stir the spinach into the cooked oats.
- Spoon the oats into a bowl. Top with sauteed tomatoes, feta, and black pepper.
This is phenomenal!!! Oatmeal is so good for you but I never eat it because I don’t much care for sweet things and that’s what most oatmeal flavors are. Thank you so much for this amazing recipe. It will most definitely be in my weekly breakfast rotation now!