Fresh strawberries, baby kale, pecans and warm, creamy goat cheese star in this spring salad. It’s dressed with an easy honey balsamic vinaigrette and perfect for brunch!
Jump to Recipe
This month’s #RecipeRedux is all about spring cleaning. The idea was to look through the fridge and pantry and use an ingredient that’s been hanging out for a while. Now, I’ll admit… I could have come up with a whole lot of recipes with the stuff in my pantry. Why DO I have so many different grains, cheeses, and flours? I digress. That’s a conversation for another day.
I’ve been buying strawberries like they are going out of style. They are so sweet and delicious right now. I have them for breakfast, as a snack or for dessert at least once a day. With so many strawberries hanging out, it was only natural to create a recipe featuring strawberries.
Pushing aside a basket of berries in the fridge, I found a small log of goat cheese. I’ve always enjoyed fried goat cheese on salads. So I was excited to make these fried goat cheese croutons at home for the first time. I love the crispy coating with the warm and gooey center.
Truth be told, I really just wanted to eat the goat cheese with strawberries. I’m kidding… kinda.
As for the greens… baby kale makes a perfect base for this salad. I needed to use the kale because it was about to go to the dark side. This was my second time buying baby kale and possibly my last (for a while). Turns out I prefer regular old kale. No matter. Like a good dietitian, I’m eating my greens. And I love them.
So I cleaned out the kale and goat cheese to create this Strawberry Kale Salad with Goat Cheese Croutons (!) and a drizzle of honey balsamic vinaigrette. Let’s get to the recipe…
Follow Me on Pinterest!
Strawberry Kale Salad with Goat Cheese Croutons
- 4 cups baby kale
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup pecans
Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
Goat Cheese Croutons
- 1 egg or egg whites equivalent
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Portion the kale, strawberries, and pecans over two salad plates.
- Shake together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a jar. Set aside. (You will have leftovers for more salad tomorrow!)
- Beat the egg in a bowl. In a separate plate, mix the panko, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Slice the goat cheese into 4 equal medallions. Dip each one in the egg, then the panko mixture.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the breaded goat cheese one by one. Fry until golden brown (about 1-2 minutes per side). Turn once.
- Add two goat cheese medallions to each salad. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of the honey balsamic vinaigrette over the salads. Serve.
I used a piece of dental floss to easily slice the cheese. If the cheese begins to soften, refrigerate the breaded medallions for 15 minutes before frying. Also, you will have leftover dressing.