With creamy avocado tuna, herby roasted garlic tuna, and sweet chili spiced tuna toasts, this easy snack board combines a variety of healthy and filling foods. Enjoy it for lunch, a light dinner or to split with a friend.
Snack boards are perfect for small meals, grazing, or easy holiday entertaining. It’s kind of like charcuterie but also a fun way to eat lunch. This board has everything you want from sweet to savory to spicy, crunchy, and creamy.
It’s quite versatile and the ideas I’ll share here are just suggestions. Feel free to make it your own!
Gather these ingredients
Variety of Bumble Bee® Seasoned Tuna Pouches*
Baguette or small toasts
Seasonal fruit and vegetables including fresh herbs
Nuts or seeds
Crackers and cheese
Jam or jelly (optional)
A sturdy board to hold all of the goodies plus a small fork and spreading knife
Build a tuna toast board
First things first. You’ll need a board. I challenge you to look through your cabinets and closets to find a platter or board instead of buying one.
Choose a square, rectangular, or round board. Whatever works for you and the person you’ll share with. Though you don’t have to share. You can absolutely build a solo snack board.
Choose a good quality bread. I purchased a fresh baguette, sliced it on the diagonal, rubbed with cut garlic, and toasted a few pieces to serve as my base. You can toast the bread using a toaster oven but I’m a fan of adding a little olive oil to a pan and heating each piece until crisp and toasty.
Get creative with your tuna toppings. Bumble Bee® Wild Caught Tuna Pouches make it easy to pull together tasty toasts in minutes. You can start with a plain one such as the Wild Caught Albacore Tuna and add in your favorite mix-ins for a classic tuna salad.
Or get a jumpstart on seasonings with any of the flavor varieties such as the Lemon Pepper, Cracked Black Pepper, or Roasted Garlic flavors I’m using.
With that, you have the base for your tuna toast board! Let’s move on to filling the rest of the board out.
Tips for success
Think sweet, spicy, savory, salty, crunchy, and creamy.
Start with the toasts and fill in the gaps. The toasts will take up the most space and serve as the centerpiece for the board. Make space for those and fill the space with smaller bites.
- Fresh baby greens such as baby kale or spinach or baby arugula work as a beautiful edible garnish. And there’s a health bonus too. Use fresh greens to stack more vegetables into each bite.
- Plain, roasted, or seasoned nuts can easily cover any empty spaces. You might also toss a few of these onto the tuna toasts for a little extra crunch.
Add a little of everything. Snack boards are the perfect way to explore tidbits of this and that from the fridge and pantry. It’s also a fun way to enjoy specialty foods you may get during the holidays.
Add flavor and flair. The only difference between an elevated snack board and an ordinary lunch or appetizer tray is variety and presentation.
- Stuffed green olives add crisp, briny flavor and color to the board. Kalamata olives mix in well for a little Mediterranean flavor.
- I added green and red grapes and peach jam for sweetness, rainbow baby carrots for crunch and color, and cheese and avocado for a bit of creaminess.
This recipe is the fourth in my partnership with Bumble Bee Seafoods. I enjoyed working with them this year because they make it easy to get quality seafood on the table. Plus, the company is doing a lot behind the scenes.
Bumble Bee® has pledged sustainability commitments, including allocating $40 million over five years to causes that help protect our oceans like minimizing plastic waste, providing alternative seafood options, and encouraging sustainable fishing practices.
And speaking of innovation, Bumble Bee is the first and only major seafood company to begin offering ocean-inspired, plant-based protein options in their venture with Good Catch Foods. So, keep an eye out for vegan fish options that you could easily swap into a snack board like this one.
The options are truly endless.
But here are three mini recipes to help you get started!
Tuna Toast 3 Ways
Ingredients for tuna toasts
- 1 fresh baguette
- 1-3 Bumble Bee® Wild Caught Tuna Pouches*
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup mayonnaise or hummus
- 1 avocado
- Olive oil and fresh garlic (optional)
Snack board ingredients
- 2 cups 2 cups baby arugula, kale, or spinach
- 1 oz. 1 oz. almonds
- 1 cup red and green grapes
- 1 tangerine
- 3-5 whole-grain crackers
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 oz. cheese
- ¼ cup olives
- 2 tablespoon fruit jam
- Toast the bread: Slice the bread into small pieces. Rub with garlic and drizzle with olive oil if desired. Toast until lightly golden brown.
Assemble the tuna toasts
- Avocado Tuna Toast: Mash fresh avocado with a sprinkle of coarse salt and lemon juice. Spread onto a piece of toast. Top with Bumble Bee® Cracked Black Pepper and Sea Salt Seasoned Tuna Pouch. Place this on the board just before serving as the avocado tends to brown the longer it’s out.Herbed Tuna Toast:Whisk mayo (or hummus) a bit of lemon zest and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Spread a little lemon mayo onto a piece of toast. Combine Bumble Bee® Roasted Garlic and Herb Seasoned Tuna Pouch with cracked black pepper with chopped chives to taste. Scoop the tuna and chive mixture onto the mayo topped toast.Sweet and Spicy Tuna Toast:Top garlic-rubbed toast with Bumble Bee® Spicy Thai Chili Seasoned Tuna Pouch. Drizzle with a little honey for extra sweetness.
Build the snack board
- Arrange the tuna toasts on the board. Add your favorite fruits, vegetables, cheese, nuts, and sauces.
Great recipes for tuna