Make this easy hashbrown breakfast casserole with spinach, red bell peppers, and onions for a veggie-packed start to the day!
This vegetarian hashbrown spinach egg casserole is perfect for your Christmas morning or holiday breakfast!
The assembly is quick and baking is mostly hands off.
Here’s what’s you’ll need
Red bell pepper
Salt and pepper
Olive oil spray
Serve this egg bake for breakfast. Or make it for lunch or dinner with a green salad. I love serve it with a simple arugula salad dressed with olive oil and red vinegar.
Frozen hashbrowns. I used plain frozen hashbrowns and didn’t unthaw them. You can also use seasoned hashbrowns – just adjust the seasonings to taste.
Spinach. I like using spinach or any quick-cooking green in this recipe. I recommend steaming fresh spinach either on top of the stove or in the microwave. You can also use frozen spinach. Be sure to thaw and drain it completely before adding to the casserole
Bell peppers. Feel free to swap in any bell pepper. I like the red bell pepper for the color and hint of sweetness but other colors work great.
Making the casserole ahead
Refrigerate the egg bake overnight. Bake at 350 F for 60-75 minutes or until cooked through.
Got leftovers? Reheat in the oven or toaster oven at 350 for 15 minutes. You can also microwave each slice on medium heat for about 1 minute until heated through, reaching an internal temperature of 165F.
You can also make these Spinach Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches ahead of time!
Vegetarian Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 20 ounce bag frozen hashbrowns
- ½ cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 5 ounces spinach, steamed
- 8 large eggs
- 1 ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Layer the hashbrowns, red bell pepper, onion, and spinach and half the cheese (if using) in a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Pour evenly over vegetable mixture. Top with the rest of the cheese (if using).
- Bake 50 – 60 minutes, until the center is cooked through and the cheese is golden (if using). Serve warm.