Green Beans Caramelized Onions and Almonds
Swap this healthy green bean recipe for traditional green bean casserole on your Thanksgiving table this year. It’s brimming with healthy fats, fiber, and flavor!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions (about 1 large)
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted (bulk bins)
- 1 pound fresh green beans (about 4 cups trimmed)
- 1 pot boiling water for blanching
- kosher salt and coarse black pepper to taste
Caramelize the onions: Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onion. Stirring occasionally, set heat to medium-low and allow the onions to cook slowly about 20-25 minutes until browned but not burned. Once done, add the vegetable broth to deglaze the pan. Remove the caramelized onions from the pan and reserve.
While onions are cooking, blanch the green beans in the boiling water - about 5 minutes. Remove the green beans from the boiling water and store in the refrigerator or an ice water bath to stop the cooking.
Put it all together: Add 1 T olive oil to the warm skillet. Add the blanched green beans, onions and almonds back to the skillet. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.