Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts
These vegan Balsamic Roasted Brussels sprouts with Walnuts make the perfect fall side dish.
Servings 6 people
- ½ lb baby Brussels sprouts halved
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- ½ t smoked sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- ¾ c toasted walnuts
- 2 t balsamic syrup (recipe below)
- 1/3 c balsamic vinegar
- 1 T light brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Toss the baby Brussels sprouts with the extra virgin oil, oil, smoked salt and cracked black pepper. Spread the Brussels sprouts onto a baking sheet. Don't crowd the pan. Roast the Brussels sprouts for about 20 minutes (or until slightly browned), turning once.
When done, add the toasted walnuts and balsamic syrup. Serve warm or room temperature.
Make the balsamic syrup: Add the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to a small saucepan. Gently heat until the sugar dissolves, small bubbles form on top and the mixture thickens. Store any leftover syrup in a sealed jar or bottle in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Tips for Perfect Roasted Brussels Sprouts:
- Preheat the oven. To get a lovely char, you need to make sure the oven is hot before adding the vegetables.
- Don't crowd the pan. Adding too much food to the pan will cause the Brussels sprouts to steam not roast.
- Be mindful of the oil. Though you don't want to drench the Brussels sprouts in oil, the olive oil will help with browning so don't skimp.