Smoky Chickpeas with Spinach
Smoky Chickpeas with Spinach is a healthy, budget-friendly meal that's full of flavor, packed with protein and just happens to be vegan!
Servings 2 entrees
- 1½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (1-15 oz. can, rinsed and drained)
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp water or vegetable broth
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add the garlic, turmeric, and smoked paprika. Stir. Heat the oil and spice mixture 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
Add chickpeas and stir to coat with the oil and spice mixture. Add spinach and water. Cook over medium heat until the spinach wilts. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve!
Tips for the best chickpea and spinach recipe:
- Cook the spices in the olive oil. This helps release the aromatic oils and heighten the flavor throughout this recipe.
- Don't crowd the pan. If you add too much too a small skillet the chickpeas will be soft and not get that lovely caramelized flavor.
- Use more spinach than you think is comfortable. It will shrink so feel free to use an entire bunch or bag of spinach.