Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins
Fresh strawberries, oats, and buttermilk combine in these healthier breakfast muffins that are perfect for breakfast, a snack and even dessert!
Servings 12 muffins
- 1 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour can sub up to ½ cup whole wheat or almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil (or any neutral tasting oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries
Preheat your oven to 400F*. Lightly spray or grease a standard 12-well muffin tin. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine oats and buttermilk to soak 15 minutes. In a second bowl, whisk the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
Stir the oil, egg, brown sugar and vanilla into the soaked oat mixture. Add dry ingredients. Stir just until combined. Do not overmix. Gently fold strawberries into the batter.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Bake 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of 1-2 muffins comes out clean.
Let the muffins cool in the pan 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- I recommend skipping the paper muffin cups in this recipe. Baking directly on the muffin tin produced the best results – keeping the moisture in and creating a nice crust on the outside.
- These strawberry oat muffins are best served warm but also freeze and reheat well.
Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 172mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 55IU | Vitamin C: 10.6mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 1mg