Basic Slow Cooker Black Beans
Basic recipe for slow cooker black beans.
Servings 12 servings
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 1 medium onion halved or quartered
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed slightly
- 1 large bay leaf or 2 small ones
- water to cover the beans about 5-6 cups
- salt to taste I used 1 teaspoon
That means – go through the beans while they are dry to remove any odd beans, stones or other stuff you wouldn’t want to eat. Rinse the beans - about 3 passes until the water is clear.
Add ingredients from the black beans to the water to the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 4 hours or until the beans are tender.
Once beans are cooked to desired tenderness, add the salt. Serve over rice or quinoa, make refried beans or soup. Freeze extra cooked beans in freezer safe bags for up to 3 months.