Roasted Broccoli & Walnut Pasta
Perfectly caramelized broccoli, walnuts & nutty parmesan star in this easy Roasted Broccoli & Walnut vegetarian pasta dish that needs just 20 minutes and 7 ingredients from start to finish.
- ½ pound orecchiette (or other short pasta like shells or bowtie)
- 1 pound fresh broccoli florets (about 5 cups raw)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil , divided
- 2 garlic cloves , smashed
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spread the broccoli florets onto a sheet pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Roast broccoli 12-15 minutes, turning once.
Prepare pasta according to the package - cooking to al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water. Drain.
Heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low. Add the hot pasta, broccoli and walnuts. Sprinkle with shredded parmesan. Add reserved pasta water starting with ¼ cup until desired sauciness is achieved. Toss to coat. Top with a bit more parmesan if desired. Serve.