Pumpkin Pasta with Toasted Walnuts and Spinach
This 20-minute creamy pumpkin pasta with toasted walnuts and spinach dish is as flavorful and nutritious. Serve it for a fall dinner party or quick weeknight meal.
Servings 4 people
- 8 ounces shells or bowtie pasta
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (I used canned)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp half and half (Swap in coconut milk for a vegan sauce.)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Cracked black pepper and salt to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach, heaping
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Parmesan cheese (Optional; Use crushed walnuts for a vegan recipe.)
Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside but keep it warm.
While the pasta cooks, bring a large skillet to medium heat and add the olive oil and minced garlic. Cook just until fragrant. Whisk in the tomato paste, pumpkin, half and half until smooth. Add the vegetable broth, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir until combined. Let cook on low about 5 minutes.
Add the spinach. Cook until it lightly wilts.
Stir in pasta and toss to coat. Sprinkle with walnuts and Parmesan, if desired and serve.
Tips for making pumpkin pasta sauce:
- Adjust the salt based on the broth you use. For example, if you are using a lower sodium broth, add salt to suit your taste!
- Store the pasta sauce in a mason jar for a few days. It tastes better the day after you make it!
- Reheat the pumpkin sauce in a small saucepan over low heat. Add warm broth to help thin it out if needed.