Instant Pot Vegan Black-Eyed Peas
These vegan pressure cooker Black Eyed Peas are a delicious southern recipe. They are no soak, full of flavor, and meatless! This recipe also includes stovetop directions.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas (about 2 cups)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½-1 tsp coarse salt (adjust to taste)
- ½ tsp black pepper
Set the multicooker to saute mode on medium heat. Add the oil to the inner liner. Saute the onion until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Switch to manual. Add the black-eyed peas, broth, and thyme.
Close lid. Turn the vent to sealing and set to high pressure for 15 minutes. (It takes 8-10 minutes to come to pressure.)
Turn the pot off. Allow natural release for about 15 minutes. Release any remaining pressure.
Open the lid facing out - allowing the steam to escape away from your face. Taste and add 1/2 or 1 tsp salt based on how they taste. I added a full teaspoon because I used a low sodium broth.
To make this recipe on the stovetop:
Use the same ingredients and the same procedure but with a little less liquid. It will just take 2-3 times as long and require a bit more checking in.
Saute the onion in the oil using a 4-6 quart pot. Add the dry peas, 4 cups broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook about 45 minutes, or until the peas are cooked to your preferred tenderness.
Tips for the best black-eyed peas
- Mind the broth. The type of broth you use can make a difference. If it’s saltier, then you will need to use less salt. Taste the peas before adding the salt so you can determine what else you need.
- Feel free to make these ahead. No matter how you cook these peas, they will taste better on day 2. So feel free to cook these a day ahead!
- You can double this recipe. Do not double the cooking time. This recipe yields a lot of peas so you probably don't need to make double. If you do, I recommend using a large pressure cooker to avoid issues with the liquid. This current recipe was tested in the 6 quart Instant Pot.
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 573mg | Potassium: 427mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 277IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 3mg