Black-Eyed Pea Fritters
These light and crispy black-eyed pea fritters are an easy vegan appetizer or snack. Made with cornmeal for a gluten-free crunch, you'll love these anytime!
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas, drained
- ½ cup whole cornmeal
- ¼ cup minced sweet or yellow onion (about ¼ a large onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 medium-sized hot pepper, minced
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- avocado, peanut or coconut oil for frying
Mix the batter: Combine the black-eyed peas, cornmeal, onion, hot pepper, thyme, garlic and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mash all ingredients together until a dense paste forms.
Form the patties: Score the paste into four equal parts in the bowl. Roll and shape 3 patties from each part. Pan-fry right away or place on a covered sheet pan in the refrigerator for up to one day.
Pan-fry the fritters: Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the fritters in batches cooking 3-4 minutes per side, flipping only once, until golden brown.Drain the fritters on a paper towel-lined plate. Add a sprinkle of salt if needed. (I did not find it necessary.) Enjoy warm with or without hot sauce.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST FRITTERS
- Mince the onions and peppers well. Leaving pieces too large can cause the fritters to fall apart. And also, no one wants to bite into a big piece of hot pepper or onion.
- Use a high heat oil. Avocado and peanut oils work well and can withstand the heat. The fritters will absorb the oil as they brown.
- Pan-fry the fritters in batches. Too many at once will crowd and cool the pan. The patties will soak up the oil and the fritters will greasy and less crisp.
- Season the fritters well. Do a little taste once the first fritters are cool enough to try. If needed, add a sprinkle of salt and decide how much hot pepper sauce you want on top. I found the one pepper to be plenty spicy and could pair them up with a cool sauce like a remoulade.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 243mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 135IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2mg