This black bean fried quinoa stir-fry is a quick and easy vegan meal. Use up leftover quinoa and black beans for an easy meal prep recipe!
This month’s recipe redux challenge was to show how we cook once and remix the leftovers. In prepping for this month’s post, my overachieving tendencies kinda took over and I ended up with three recipes. Let me explain…
As much as I love black beans, I realized that I had not posted a black bean recipe here on the blog. I mean. I eat them at least once a week. So this post is me completely overdoing it on black bean recipes. The first up is my Black Bean Fried Quinoa.Spice up #mealprep with this Black Bean 'Fried' Quinoa this week!
It all started with my slow cooker black beans. The slow cooker beans are an excellent canvas to build flavorful meals throughout the week. I took that recipe and made two.
For the Black Bean Fried Quinoa, I wanted to build in layers of flavor to elevate the beans. I started by sauteeing onions with ancho chile powder.
I added in the cooked quinoa. Now, I could have easily stopped right here. The toasted quinoa mixed with the spicy onion mixture was tempting. But I added the rest of the ingredients to complete the meal. Scroll down to get the full recipe.
For TAKE TWO: I combined the leftover slow cooker beans with some of my favorite spices to make a Spicy Black Bean Soup with Ancho Chile Pepitas.
Black Bean Fried Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or any neutral-tasting oil)
- ½ cup sweet onion diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked black beans drained
- ½ cup corn kernels
- fresh limes and cilantro to garnish
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and bell pepper in the oil until translucent. Add the chile powder and garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the quinoa. Cook until any lingering oil or moisture is absorbed. Add the black beans and corn. Heat through and serve.
- For extra flavor, add a squeeze of lime and chopped cilantro on top.
Be sure to PIN this recipe for later!