Perfectly caramelized broccoli, walnuts & nutty parmesan star in this easy Roasted Broccoli & Walnut vegetarian pasta dish that’s ready in 20 minutes and needs only 7 ingredients!
This vegetable packed pasta is a quick and easy meal with just 6 ingredients! It’s also ready to go in 20 minutes!
Here’s what you’ll need.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Toasted walntus
- Parmesan cheese
My favorite way to add flavor to vegetables is by roasting them. It’s one of the easiest ways to add incredible flavor without excessive fat or salt. It works for asparagus, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and other root vegetables, cauliflower and even green beans and cabbage. I’ve roasted them all!Roasted Broccoli & Walnut Pasta is just 20 minutes + 7 ingredients away!
This Roasted Broccoli & Walnut Pasta recipe combines flavorful roasted broccoli with a weeknight meal staple – pasta. Now I could just eat the broccoli topped with walnuts and parmesan but the pasta makes it a meal.
All you need is 20 minutes and 7 ingredients to get this meal on the table (not counting the water, salt, and pepper).
When a pasta craving hits, I rarely shy away. Instead, I balance it with plenty of vegetables. And full disclosure, there would be a lot more roasted broccoli in the photo if I hadn’t eaten it right off the pan. That happens…
Anyway. This recipe is flexible. I’m showing you a couple of different pasta shapes in this post. You can swap the pasta for quinoa or brown rice or try chickpea pasta which would be delicious here too.
Can this recipe be made vegan?
Swap the parmesan for nutritional yeast to make it vegan. You can also just leave the Parmesan cheese out – though you’ll likely need to add a little more salt.
Dig into the recipe below! And be sure to PIN it for later.
Healthy Pasta Recipes
Roasted Broccoli & Walnut Pasta
- ½ pound orecchiette (or other short pasta like shells or bowtie)
- 1 pound fresh broccoli florets (about 5 cups raw)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil , divided
- 2 garlic cloves , smashed
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spread the broccoli florets onto a sheet pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Roast broccoli 12-15 minutes, turning once.
- Prepare pasta according to the package - cooking to al dente. Reserve ½ cup pasta water. Drain.
- Heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the hot pasta, broccoli and walnuts. Sprinkle with shredded parmesan. Add reserved pasta water starting with ¼ cup until desired sauciness is achieved. Toss to coat. Top with a bit more parmesan if desired. Serve.