Vegan air fryer avocado fries are an easy healthy appetizer. Crunchy outside and creamy inside, these are fried to perfection in less than 10 minutes!
These healthy air fryer avocado fries use all cornmeal and a blend of spices to keep them crunchy and gluten-free. It’s the perfect recipe to use up leftover avocado.
Side note: If you’re looking for other healthy vegan snacks, make these air fryer kale chips! They are easy, crispy and made in just 5 minutes! Now on to the avocado fries.
You’ll only need a few ingredients for this recipe.
- Chile powder
- Garlic powder
- Fresh limes
- Avocado oil spray
The seasoned cornmeal will make or break this recipe. You can make it spicy or mild. Add in cumin, onion, or more garlic powder. But don’t forget the salt!
Adjust the spice to your liking. You can use taco seasoning if you have that on hand to make this a 3 ingredient recipe!
This recipe doesn’t use eggs? Correct. I tried it both ways. Not using eggs keeps the recipe vegan. Using eggs will yield a heavier breading layer and a bit more crunch. To do this, simply dip the avocado slices into a beaten egg before dredging in the seasoned cornmeal.
I personally enjoyed these fries without the egg as it allows the creaminess of the avocado to come through. But it works either way.
Slice, pit, and peel the avocado. Slice into wedges that are about the same size for even cooking.
Dredge the slices into the seasoned cornmeal. Place in a preheated air-fryer basket, spritz with oil and cook until crispy. Eat right away!
Don’t have an air-fryer? No problem. You can bake these avocado fries in a regular oven.
Preheat the oven to 475 F.Spray a quarter sheet pan with oil. Place the coated avocado slices onto the pan. Spritz the tops of the avocado fries with oil. Bake 10 minutes and finish the rest of the recipe. Serve warm.
Use a ripe yet firm avocado. I know. There’s a thin line between ripe and overripe when it comes to avocados. It’s important to use a firmer one for the breading process and to keep them together during air-frying or baking.
Cut the avocado slices about the same size. Equal slices ensure even cooking. For me, I got about 8 fries from each avocado – 4 per half. The fries were about an inch thick.
Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket or sheet pan. Doing so will prevent the fries from getting as crispy as they could be.
Eat the avocado fries warm. They are ok but will not be the same reheated. So it’s a good idea to do these in small batches.
What are the best avocados to fry?
I used medium-sized Hass avocados for this recipe. Choose a ripe but firm avocado for breading. Once the avocado is ripe, you can store it in the refrigerator to slow down ripening.
Best way to cut an avocado?
Wash the avocado. Slice around the center to the pit. Then slice again to create quarters. Peel each piece separately.
This is not only a safer way to remove the pit, it also allows you to maintain and eat as much of the avocado flesh as possible – especially the nutrient-rich deep green layer just beneath the peel.
Best seasoning for avocado fries?
The cornmeal is flavorful in itself. Add to it a blend of chipotle chili powder, garlic powder, salt and a squeeze of lime for a simple but delicious coating that gets crunchy when air-fried.
What goes with avocado fries?
- Avocado fries are perfect as an appetizer all on their own. You can enjoy them fresh, hot and plain.
- Warm avocado fries can be used to top salads, tacos, refried beans and more.
- Or serve these with a sauce. Combine chile powder, lime juice, and salt with mayo or plain, unsweetened yogurt for a cool and delicious dipping sauce.
More avocado recipes
Crispy Avocado Fries
- 2 medium avocados
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp chipotle chile powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- 1 fresh lime
- Avocado or olive oil spray
- Preheat the air fryer for at least 3 minutes to 400 F. Mix the cornmeal and seasonings in a shallow bowl or pan.
- Slice, peel and pit the avocados. Gently toss the avocado slices into the cornmeal mixture until completely coated. Press the avocado into the cornmeal until it sticks.
- Place the coated slices into the preheated air fryer basket. Spritz lightly with oil. Cook for 8 minutes – stopping midway to gently shake the basket to ensure even cooking.
- Once done. Squeeze lightly with lime juice. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.
Tips for success
- Choose a ripe but firm avocado.
- Cut the avocados into the same sized slices for more even cooking.
- Don’t skimp on the seasonings. The salt may sound like a lot but remember that you won’t eat all of it. Another seasoning option: Use 1½ tsp taco seasoning for the garlic and chile powder if you have it on hand. Add salt to taste.