Ways to use leftover avocado!
If you have some leftover avocados from your Cinco de Mayo fiesta, time is ticking and the ethylene gas* is in overdrive. Here are some easy ways to use up those leftover avocados:
- Use leftover guacamole as a sandwich spread instead of mayonnaise. You can also mash plain avocado and add garlic, cumin, and lemon or lime juice to suit your taste. Avocado goes especially well with chicken and turkey. Combine with your favorite veggies in a whole grain wrap.
- Chunk it and add to mixed greens for a satisfying salad. Tomatoes, fresh corn, and shrimp or crab are other good complements.
- Puree it with lime juice and spices for a creamy yet heart-healthy salad dressing. Try this easy Spicy Avocado Dressing version.
- Mash it and use instead of mayo in chicken or tuna salad. Be sure to add lime juice for fresh flavor and to help reduce browning. Serve the salad on whole grain crackers or enjoy on a bed of spinach or arugula.
As I was writing this post, I came across this recipe for Avocado Eggs Benedict. I look forward to trying it using whole grain English muffins with a spinach side salad. How do you use leftover avocados in a hurry?
Here are a few easy recipes using leftover avocado (added May 2017):
- No-Bake Coconut Avocado Tartlets with Almond Crust (gluten free)
- Chipotle Shrimp Guacamole Bites
- Sesame Salmon Avocado Bowl (Sushi Unrolled!)
- Easy Egg & Avocado Breakfast Tacos
- Harissa Avocado Deviled Eggs
* Ethylene is a natural gas produced by fruit. It helps fruit ripen. To prolong the life of your avocados, store them in a cool, dry place. Do not store in a bag or with other fruits like apples and bananas which would hasten the ripening process and lead to faster spoilage.
Leave a Reply