Zucchini Noodles with Tomato, Basil and Parmesan

Jump to Recipe

Zucchini noodles or zoodles topped with fresh tomatoes, basil and parmesan make for the perfect summer meal!

Zucchini Noodles with Tomato Basil Parmesan

I resisted the spiralized vegetable trend for a long time. I thought… what’s the big deal? Zucchini is zucchini no matter how you slice it. Why go through the extra work to turn it into cute, curly spirals? Let me tell you. I was wrong.

[Tweet “Easy Summer Zucchini Noodles with Tomatoes, Basil & Parmesan via @marisamoore”]

I’m not about calling vegetables pasta. Vegetables are vegetables. Pasta is pasta. And sometimes I just want pasta. But making zucchini noodles and other “noodles” is a nice change. Spiralizing completely transforms fruits and vegetables to a bowl full of delicious fun because who doesn’t like to slurp a noodle?! Zucchini is especially nice because it cooks quickly and the bland flavor makes it the perfect canvas to add a number of bold or not so bold flavors. I’ve spiralized apples, potatoes, beets and this summer I’ve been doing lots of zucchini.

I kept this recipe simple, using what I had on hand. I was particularly excited to use fresh basil and tomatoes from my backyard garden.

Zucchini Noodles with tomato basil

Heads up: Zucchini contains a lot of water so this recipe is not great for leftovers. You’ll want to plan to eat the whole dish the same day. Not you alone but with friends of course.

Here’s a tip: To enjoy zucchini noodles a few times a week and not have to clean the spiralizer every time, spiralize a few zucchinis at once. Refrigerate the zoodles raw and cook them to order.

When I shared a sneak peek of this recipe on Instagram, people asked what kind of spiralizer I use. So let me tell you. But first. Are you following me on instagram? Maybe you should because I’m over there sharing tips and recipes almost every day.

At the moment, I have two spiralizers. I bought the Paderno one from Amazon. It sat in the box for months. Then last year, KitchenAid asked me to use their new spiralizer attachment for the stand mixer to create a recipe for their blog. I got to keep the spiralizer and was a little hooked after that. It’s what I used for this recipe but the Paderno spiralizer is also fine. I don’t love the pencil sharpener spiralizers though. They are great for zucchini but not so great for other produce.

Anyways.. here’s the recipe. It’s more of a suggested list of ingredients because you can just freestyle this dish. Try it and let me know what you think. Tag me on Instagram @marisamoore!

4.6 from 5 votes

Ingredients
  • 2 medium zucchini spiralized
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1 cup sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • cracked black pepper and kosher salt to taste
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons or more fresh basil torn
Instructions
  1. Spiralize the zucchini.
  2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté spiralized zucchini for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute or so. Toss in sliced fresh cherry tomatoes. Heat just until the tomatoes are warm. Add in the crushed red pepper flakes, kosher salt and pepper. Toss to combine evenly.
  3. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle on torn fresh basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Twirl!
  4. Double the portion for a (very) light dinner or plate these zoodles with a side of salmon and a glass of white wine served on a backyard deck.

Have you tried zucchini noodles (or zoodles) yet? I’d love to hear how you enjoy them!

Zucchini Noodles with Tomato Basil Parmesan

16 Comments on Zucchini Noodles with Tomato, Basil and Parmesan

July 9, 2016 at 5:32 PM (1 year ago)
      Thanks, Rachel! Reply
  1. Sara @sarahaasrdn.com
    July 8, 2016 at 3:04 PM (1 year ago)
    Simply beautiful and delicious! Love this Marisa! Reply
      July 9, 2016 at 5:32 PM (1 year ago)
      Thanks, Sara! :) Reply
  2. Tina
    December 14, 2016 at 4:25 PM (9 months ago)
    I wish thy showed the nutritional info here Reply
      December 15, 2016 at 8:52 AM (9 months ago)
      Thanks for the feedback. We've actually started adding calories and basic nutrient data for new recipes. I will work on adding it for this one too in the next few days. Reply
  3. Charlotte
    June 2, 2017 at 5:23 AM (4 months ago)
    My husband love your recipes and can't get enough of your healthy ideas. You keep up the good work your doing to ensure our bodies are fed with good nutrition.
      June 2, 2017 at 6:59 AM (4 months ago)
      That means so much to me. I'm happy to hear it helps. Thanks for taking the time to write the note! Reply
  4. Jil Spangenberg
    June 3, 2017 at 11:25 AM (4 months ago)
    I have fresh basil just outside my door. I will DEFINITELY try this one!. I have lost 35# over the past 5 months but the last 15 are priving to be a challenge. Perhaps I'm just burned out on existing healthy recipes. Just brought home the new spiralizer KitchenAid attachment. Hoping to get excited about all the different recipes for my various zoodles. Would LOVE to follow you, do you blog anywhere other than posts on Instagram? I am sooooo not a fan of Instagram
      June 3, 2017 at 11:39 AM (4 months ago)
      Hi Jil! Hope you love it. I can't get enough basil in the summer. I do spend a lot of time on Instagram. Be sure to sign up for my Monday newsletter (see top of the page) and I'm also on Facebook https://facebook.com/MarisaMooreNutrition where I share nutrition info and healthy recipes. Thanks for stopping by! Reply
  5. Barbara
    June 4, 2017 at 10:18 AM (4 months ago)
    I have never spiralized anything, and don't even own a spiralizer, but we are swimming in zucchini so I will need to go buy a spiralizer TODAY and try this recipe! I'll let you know how it goes! Reply
      June 4, 2017 at 10:45 AM (4 months ago)
      Hi Barbara. This simple recipe is one of my faves. A spiralizer definitely makes it easier (and fun) but you can also use a vegetable peeler and just make zucchini ribbons! I look forward to hearing how it goes! Reply
    • Mary Di
      August 2, 2017 at 3:51 AM (2 months ago)
      My teenager, that's right, TEENAGER, said I should try spiralized zucchini coz all her "veggie" friends eat them. So I bought one and this recipe was an absolute hit!!!! Thankyou, spiralizer, thank you Marisa the recipe queen and thank you teenagers ❤️
  6. Barbara
    June 4, 2017 at 7:51 PM (4 months ago)
    Spiralizing is SO fun! I found an inexpensive but sturdy looking one at Home Goods, and turned waaay too many zucchini into zoodles. Yummy recipe, Marisa, thanks! Reply
  7. HMB
    June 4, 2017 at 10:40 PM (4 months ago)
    Delicious! We'll be making this again & again!
  8. Bob
    September 2, 2017 at 6:53 PM (3 weeks ago)
    Just bought our spiraler today and you recipe was the first one we tried. We enjoyed it very much. We will be adding shrimp to it next time. Thanks