Make roasted vegetable flatbread for a quick weeknight meal! This olive oil and herb brushed flatbread topped with savory mushrooms, peppers, red onions and a sprinkle of feta is a simple recipe with big flavor!
This post is sponsored by ALDI USA.
This easy roasted vegetable flatbread requires just 10 minutes of hands-on time and can be prepped ahead for easy weeknight dinners. This is a flexible recipe but here are the ingredients I used.
This recipe does take 30 minutes from start to finish. BUT you’ll only spend about 10 minutes hands-on.
Ingredients for an easy flatbread
Specially Selected Original Naan Bread
Simply Nature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sweet bell pepper
Simply Nature Organic Basil Leaves
Simply Nature Organic Oregano Leaves
Simply Nature Organic Garlic Powder
Coarse salt and pepper
Fresh parsley or basil (optional)
Before you crank up the oven, let’s chat a bit about how this easy recipe fits into healthy living.
As a registered dietitian nutritionist, I’ve heard all the reasons that healthy living can be a challenge. But time is the one thing that comes up over and over again as the top obstacle to healthy eating. This recipe helps with that!
This roasted vegetable flatbread can be made ahead and customized with your favorite flavor combinations. And if you’re feeling like you need to spend a lot of time in the kitchen to nourish your body well… I’m here to say, You Don’t.
And here’s the thing…
Healthy living is a journey, not a destination.
Start small. I generally avoid big, all-or-nothing goals at the start of a new year. Instead, I set some intentions and regularly check in on my progress. That includes getting enough sleep, eating well, and moving my body enough.
Take shortcuts. Some might say you have to make your own flatbread – from scratch – to make this a healthy meal. Not true. Like boxed pasta, I love to keep pre-made flatbread on-hand as a way to get in more vegetables.
Use quality ingredients wherever possible. You’ll feel better about it and benefit from putting better quality ingredients into your body. And it’s easy to find quality, affordable ingredients at ALDI.
I love that ALDI makes shopping fast and easy. They sell just what you need so you don’t get caught in decision fatigue with 10 different brands of nuts. (I’m only kind of kidding here.)
And as a dietitian, I love that they provide lots of better-for-you choices at great prices. And all of the ingredients in today’s recipe came from ALDI!
Make this roasted vegetable flatbread
Slice and spread the vegetables onto a sheet pan. Toss with Simply Nature Extra Virgin Olive Oil, garlic powder, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Roast.
This step can be done a couple of days in advance. So consider making a batch of roasted vegetables as part of meal prep – if you do that.
Season the flatbread
This recipe doesn’t have a red sauce like a typical pizza. Of course, you can do that if you want. But I opted for an herbed olive oil brushed (generously) over the naan. Don’t skimp on the seasonings here. Add the toppings and bake.
Tips for success
Cut the vegetables into thick pieces about the same size. Doing this will ensure all vegetables cook evenly versus some crunchy and others mushy! This is especially important for the onions which will be the first to burn.
Give the vegetables room to sweat. The trick to brown, caramelized, and more flavorful vegetables is space! So leave enough space between the vegetables for the heat to circulate. This will let them roast instead of steam.
Don’t overcook the vegetables. The mushroom, pepper, and onion mixture will take two trips to the oven. So, stick to not more than about 15 minutes the first time to avoid limp vegetables and soggy flatbread.
Ways to make this flatbread your own
Switch up the vegetables. Of course, you can play around with different mushrooms and red, yellow, or orange peppers. But the options are endless here. In the fall, you might add roasted Brussels sprouts and walnuts, and in the summer bake up a Caprese-style flatbread with fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella.
Try a different cheese. Or none. Ricotta, goat cheese, or vegan cheese all work well on flatbread. So indulge your preference. I personally enjoy the briny flavor of feta with mushrooms and peppers but the flatbread was delicious without it. And leaving off the cheese makes this a vegan recipe.
Add your favorite protein. Italian sausage is a natural fit with the peppers and onions. ALDI has several options including their Never Any! Chicken Sausage in a variety of flavors or Earth Grown Meatless Italian Sausage to keep it all plant based.
This flatbread is perfect all on its own but can also be served with a green salad.
Quick and easy recipes for self-care
I’m a firm believer that meal prep, leftovers, and quick and easy, veggie-rich recipes are the ultimate in self-care. Here’s why this recipe fits with this.
- You’re eating vegetables. A lot of them.
- The recipe is mostly hands-off. You could make your own flatbread. Making bread is one of my favorite forms of meditation. But you don’t have to make your own bread – especially if it’s going to be a chore for you.
- Flatbread is a blank canvas. And right now, we can all use a prompt for creativity and a little change of pace to try something different. Be sure to check out my ideas on how to make this recipe your own below.
- It tastes good. Food is nourishing but also meant to be enjoyed. Plus, the combination makes your house smell like a pizzeria. So enjoy it!
Ok. Ready to eat? Here’s the easy recipe all in one place.
Easy Roasted Vegetable Flatbread
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thick sliced
- ¼ cup Simply Nature Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 teaspoon Simply Nature Basil Leaves, divided
- 2 teaspoon Simply Nature Garlic Powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon Simply Nature Organic Oregano Leaves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 2 Specially Selected Original Naan Bread
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- fresh basil or parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spread the sliced mushrooms, bell pepper, and onions in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toss with 2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon each dried basil and garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon each black pepper and salt. Roast 15 minutes or until the mushrooms and peppers just start to brown and the onions don’t burn.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining extra virgin olive, basil, oregano, garlic powder, and salt. Brush the herbed olive oil evenly over the 2 pieces of naan making sure to cover it from edge to edge.
- Remove the cooked vegetables from the oven. Spread the vegetables evenly across each piece of naan and add the crumbled feta pieces.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden. Top with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and fresh herbs if desired. Slice and serve warm.
This flatbread is filling and delicious and filling on its own. But it pairs well with a side salad or soup for both lunch and dinner.