These Harissa Avocado Deviled Eggs are the perfect protein packed snack for your big game day spread.
This month’s recipe redux challenge was to cook up something smoky.
Though I’m not a big meat eater, I love the hearty, deep flavor of smoked or grilled foods. I’ve been loving ancho chiles, chipotle peppers and smoked paprika for years. And then I met harissa. This North African hot sauce is taking over and for good reason. It’s a wonderfully complex paste of chile peppers, garlic, spices and olive oil that transforms ordinary food into extraordinary dishes.
I made a batch of harissa last week and needed to use it up. I’m a big hot sauce on eggs fan. I’m a big avocado and eggs fan too. This recipe combines it all. These Harissa Avocado Deviled Eggs are the perfect twist on deviled eggs for the big game next week.
I struggled with the photo y’all. But I couldn’t not post the recipe because it’s so dang good. Apparently photographing deviled eggs is a difficult task. I’m a complete amateur at photography so I’m not exactly surprised with the results. I will keep working on the photo and styling but for now just imagine creamy white boiled eggs filled with a creamy avocado, lemon cream topped with spicy, smoky harissa. It’s two bites to cool, creamy, spicy goodness.
Harissa Avocado Deviled Eggs
- 4 hard boiled eggs halved, yolks reserved
- 1 medium avocado halved and pitted
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 T harissa paste
- Arrange the egg halves onto a serving platter.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the cooked egg yolks. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Whip with a small whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Put the avocado cream into a sandwich or snack bag and snip the end. (Yes. This is a makeshift piping bag. If you have a real one, feel free to use it.) Pipe the avocado cream into each egg half.
- Top each egg with a small dollop of harissa and try not to eat them all before your guests arrive!
Checkout what the other recipe redux crew created this month:
[inlinkz_linkup id=480239 mode=1]
Leave a Reply