This strawberry arugula salad with toasted hemp seeds is a simple seasonal salad sure to brighten up your spring brunch table!
This post is sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market.
In preparation for my next demo with Sprouts, we were challenged to come up with better brunch recipes. If you know me, you know I LOVE breakfast food more than the average person. I could eat it any time of day or night. When out with friends, I always want to go for the pancakes or French toast but I rarely do. Obviously, these are not the healthiest choices. But when I have ordered the pancake stack, I often felt blah or hungry afterward.
Instead, I secretly hope one of my friends will order the French toast and let me have a bite or that we’ll split an order of pancakes for the table. Either way, I usually opt for eggs – an omelet, scramble, or frittata or Huevos Rancheros or breakfast tacos when we’re out for Mexican. The protein helps me feel much more satisfied. That’s my brunch story… and I’m sticking to it.
At home, I love serving up a variety of options from granola and yogurt to healthier muffins, French toast, egg dishes, and vegetable salads and sides. And that includes bright, beautiful seasonal salads like this Strawberry Arugula one. Strawberries and arugula make a classic combination. I added hemp seeds for an interesting twist.
Why hemp seeds? Nutrition and flavor. Hemp seeds provide tasty crunch plus heart healthy omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin A, iron, and 10 grams plant protein per serving.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Strawberry Arugula Salad with Toasted Hemp Seeds ” quote=”ad: Strawberry Arugula Salad with Toasted Hemp Seeds #SpringRecipes #Strawberries”]
And yes. These seeds (sometimes called hemp hearts) do come from the hemp plant but they don’t include THC, the active drug harvested from hemp leaf. If you aren’t able to find hemp seeds at your store, feel free to sub another. Toasted sunflower seeds would be especially delicious and provide an even bigger crunch in this salad.
Here’s the simple recipe. Be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make this one!
Strawberry Arugula Salad with Toasted Hemp Seeds
- ¼ cup shelled hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Coarse salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 5 ounces regular or baby arugula
- Dry toast the hemp seeds: Heat the hemp seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and smell nutty and toasted. Remove from the skillet to cool.
- Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, minced shallot, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Toss strawberries into the dressing. Add the arugula and toss to lightly dress the greens.
- Plate the salad and sprinkle with toasted hemp seeds. Serve immediately.