Week One: Add fresh fruit to salads.
Fresh peaches, pineapple, juicy strawberries and grapes are all great for the summer. These fruits add flavor and moisture to the salad eliminating the need to douse your otherwise healthy meal with high calorie dressing. For even more flavor, grill the fruit before adding to your salad.
Try these pairings to get started:
- Combine fresh strawberries, slivered almonds and spinach. Drizzle with a balsamic vinaigrette.
- Add chunks of fresh pineapple to an Asian inspired salad. Start with shredded red and green cabbages, carrots and red bell peppers. Toss with a sesame ginger dressing. Add in some shredded rotisserie chicken for a complete meal.
- Combine fresh or grilled peaches, pecans, goat cheese and grilled chicken over mixed greens with your favorite tart vinaigrette.
- Add fresh tomatoes and basil to chickpeas with garlic and your favorite spices for a hearty vegetarian meal. (Despite how we eat them, tomatoes are technically a fruit.)
- Add red grapes to tuna salad and serve in a lettuce wrap. Use half plain Greek yogurt for the mayo or skip that and drizzle the mixture with a little Italian dressing.
If you’re wondering why I didn’t mention ranch dressing anywhere… well, it’s because it doesn’t really play well with fruit. Take this opportunity to try something new.
Tell me how you will make this tip your own or how you’ve already done so. Connect with me on Twitter or Facebook or in the comments below!
Image courtesy alice_henneman on flickr.
Leave a Reply