This roasted delicata squash recipe is unbelievably easy to prepare. The sweet, caramelized flavor is balanced with walnuts and parmesan.
This easy roasted delicata squash recipe has a bit of flavor and texture with the addition of walnuts and parmesan. And if you haven’t tried this winter squash that’s so easy to cut through, you must.
Here’s how you can get started with this recipe!
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Benefits of delicata squash
After a recent trip to the farmers market and a post from one of my Instagram buddies, I decided to give delicata squash a second look. And I have to tell you… I found love.
Sweet, smooth and easy to prepare, delicata squash is the answer to my winter squash woes. It’s small enough to handle and slice safely.
It doesn’t have to be microwaved, baked or boiled to cut it up. (My knife went through the raw squash with ease.)
The skin is edible, so there’s no peeling involved.
And look at that color. It tells me that this squash is bursting with vitamin A and it’s also a good source of vitamin C.
How to cut delicata squash
Use a firm, stable cutting board.
Slice off the root and tip ends. Slice lengthwise.
Scoop out the seeds. And slice the squash in even pieces for the lovely half-moon shapes.
How to roast delicata squash
To top it off…this recipe feeds my insatiable need to roast vegetables. Here’s how to roast it:
- Slice the squash. No need to peel it.
- Drizzle on some oil (I prefer extra virgin olive oil) plus your favorite seasonings.
- Spread in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Roast in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
Have you tried delicata squash?
This is a food first for me. Though, I’d seen it before, I mentally filed delicata squash into the category of those cumbersome, difficult (and downright dangerous) to slice winter squashes collecting dust at the end of the produce aisle.
I’m calling it today… Delicata squash is going to steal some of that butternut squash limelight over the next couple of years.
This Rosemary Roasted Delicata Squash is another one of my favorite ways to enjoy it with lots of fall flavor. What are your favorite recipes for it?
This is just my first recipe. Have you tried it yet? I’d love to hear how you prepare it.
Roasted Delicata Squash with Parmesan & Walnuts
- 2 medium delicata squash
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 c toasted walnuts coarsely chopped
- 2 T grated parmesan cheese
- 2 T flat leaf parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Cut and slice the squash into 1 inch slices. It is not necessary to peel it.
- Arrange the squash on a large cookie sheet in a single layer. Drizzle the squash with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast the squash for 25 minutes, turning once.
- Remove the squash from the oven and transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts, parmesan and parsley. Devour it!